Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sick

I forgot one other thing that happened to James around the end of August. He got so sick. He never likes to cuddle and is always on the go. Well one day he was kind of mellow and I thought he felt pretty warm but I didn't take an official temperature because I thought it was just teeth causing the fever. Well the next day in the morning I went to get him out of bed and he felt hot to me so I checked his temperature and he was 102. I gave him some Tylenol the amount according to the bottle. Then sent him back to bed. When he woke up I still thought he was really hot and took his temperature again - 102.7. So I sent Ryan to the store to get some Ibuprofen. We alternated the medication giving him the doses according the the bottle but his temp was around 103 all day. Well around 7:00 we put him to bed and thought maybe the fever will break soon. I went in at around 8:00 and didn't even touch him but I could feel the heat radiating off his body. I woke him up and took his temp and it was 104. We gave some more medicine, a cool bath and tried to get him to drink. We waited for an hour to see if the meds were going to work. Then I took his temperature again and it was 105.3. We called my parents to have them watch Maddison while we took him to the ER. His temperature topped off at 106. They gave him the REAL appropriate doses of medicine (not the one the bottle says), put cold rags over him and were about to do a cool IV. Then the doctor said to hold the IV until the blood work came back (I was very relieved.) Needless to say it took the hospital 4 hours before his temperature broke and was there a reason - NO! They just said it was some virus but that it was good we brought him in because at that high a temp he could of had seizures. Moral of the story -- Find out how much medicine your kids can really have safely, and it might save you a trip to the hospital. Here is a picture of him and Dad when his fever was 105.
He was beet red because his little body was so hot.
Poor little guy.

3 comments:

Alldredge Memories said...

Sorry to hear about James. That is the worst when kids are sick and you have no idea what to do to help them. O.k. so I started a blog too...my friend made me :) You can check it out if you wish http://alldredgememories@blogspot DenniAnn told me about yours. It's fun to see pics of the kids and hear what you guys are up to. They look great! Hope all is going well, and James is better and back to his happy self. Good to hear he's walking!

Hugs!
Amy :)

Kirsti said...

OH, that is so sad! This Christmas Tyler got a super bad ear infection and his fever did the same thing. He was just so lethargic and hot it was so sad to see your happy boy so miserable. Glad he is doing better!

Crystal said...

That's awful that he was sick but he looks so cute and sweet cuddled up to Ryan. I'm glad he's better!